img_6040 2-600

Arrival,Depatures and Visa information

Arrival in SA

Entry to South Africa can only be made at one of the Ports of Entry.

On approaching a port, call the Port Captain on VHF channel 12 who will advise on where to tie up and arrange for all the required officials to visit the boat if requested to do so.

The Q flag must be flown.

Cape Town and Richards Bay are the best ports for clearing into the country as they are experienced in handling foreign yachts.


Before departure, a letter or form must be obtained from the marina or yacht club stating that all dues have been paid. This is required before completing departure clearance with Customs and Immigration.

When moving to another South African port, a cruising itinerary (time of departure, intended destination, and ETA) must be lodged with the Port Authority. This only applies if leaving a Port of Entry.

Last updated March 2014.

For more details please visit http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/SouthAfrica?rc=Formalities


Immigrations Office, Cowrie House, Duncan Road, Cape Town Harbour

Telephone Number: +27 (21) 421 1007 / +27 (21) 421 1008 
Contact Person:Petro Snyders / Archie
Opening Hours :24 hours a day, each day of the week


Visas for people who are crew members (maritime)

A crew permit is issued to a foreigner who is a member of the crew of a ship. A crew permit may be issued for a maximum of three months at a time. Applications can be made at a port of entry in South Africa.

You will have to submit the following:

  • A valid passport
  • A letter of request from the owner of the ship, including an undertaking of responsibility for such person’s compliance with the Immigration Act, 2002
  • Proof of sufficient financial means of the owner of that ship to cover day-to-day needs and medical expenses
  • A deposit, if deemed necessary by the Department of Home Affairs, in order to ensure compliance with the terms and conditions of the crew permit. Such a deposit shall be refunded to you at departure or after the permit has been issued to you. The payment of the deposit may be effected by means of a bank guaranteed cheque or credit card at places where such facility exists
  • Proof of settlement of an outstanding fine incurred by the conveyor.

Requirements for extending your visa

  • Once a person arrives at a South African port of entry, the visa is then regarded as a visitor’s permit. Most visas or visitor’s permits are issued for a maximum period of 90 days.
  • If your visit exceeds 90 days, you will need to apply for temporary residence permit instead of a visitor’s visa.
  • Remember that the requirements for a temporary residence permit is not the same as a visitor’s visa.
  • If the need arises to have your visa extended, you will need to contact any office of the Department of Home Affairs and apply for the extension of the visitor’s permit
  • You will need to complete the temporary residency and pay additional fees as prescribed.

Immigration Services  (Home Affairs) :

Jackie MC Kay        No: 012 406 2697

                             Email:  This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


Malmesbury Home  Affairs : Office Manager:  Mr Gerhard Kotze


Email : This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.  

Address: Malmesbury,

Western Cape,

South Africa


Tel: 022 482 8240 | 022 482 8247

© 2011 - 2017 Yachtport SA 
Yachtport SA (Pty) Ltd. | Moore Stephens VDA Building, Technopark, Stellenbosch, 7600